Planning Scheme Review
We are currently reviewing the Whittlesea Planning Scheme, which sets out the rules for how land is used, built on and protected within the City of Whittlesea.
The review will focus specifically on updating the Local Planning Policy Framework, which explains the rationale for zones, overlays and other requirements in the Planning Scheme.
We invite you to tell us what planning-related issues are important to you and help shape the future growth and strategic vision for our municipality.
Purpose and benefits of Planning Scheme Review
The Planning and Environment Act 1987 now requires us to review the Planning Scheme every 4 years after adopting the Council Plan and electing a new Council.
The review aims to:
- develop a strategically-driven planning scheme
- help with better and quicker planning decisions
- reduce processing times for planning permits
- maintain a focus on continuous improvement
- improve confidence in the planning system
- set objectives to drive and monitor improvements
Some of the benefits of the review include:
- ensuring the planning scheme responds to current issues facing City of Whittlesea residents
- reducing the complexity and removing unnecessary planning permit requirements
- improving the performance of the planning scheme and strengthening its strategic objectives
- ensuring the planning scheme is consistent with State Government policies and guidelines
- linking the planning scheme with Council’s strategic direction
Every time we ask for community comments as part of this review project, we will prepare and publish a feedback report to make sure we understood right.
We have now completed step 1 of the review process, where we invited your initial comments until February 2013.
Based on your feedback in step 1, we are currently preparing a key issues/vision report.
In January 2014, we will publish the key issues/vision report and hold community meetings and key focus group meetings to explore the issues raised.
This feedback will help us update the City of Whittlesea profile, and our land use and development strategic directions.
We will prepare amendment documents, including a report explaining all the proposed changes to the Planning Scheme and present this to the community.
Planning Panels Victoria will review our amendment documents, and address matters raised through community feedback.
Victorian Government's Metropolitan Planning Strategy
The Victorian Government recently released a draft metropolitan planning strategy to manage the challenges of Melbourne’s current and future growth and change.
The strategy will contribute to the overall vision for the State including links with regional Victoria.
For more information, visit the Plan Melbourne website.
24 April 2013