The Amendment will affect multi-dwelling development on the majority of land zoned 'General Residential Zone', and all land zoned 'Residential Growth Zone' in the established suburbs. Building permit applicants seeking to build to the rear boundary on land zoned 'General Residential Zone' may also be affected.
Amendment C200 implements key objectives of our Housing Diversity Strategy, which was adopted in 2013.
You can contact us on 9217 2170 if you would like to speak to an interpreter to further explain the following information in your language.
Frequently asked questions
What is the Housing Diversity Strategy 2013-2033?
Over the next 20 years, households in the established suburbs of Lalor, Thomastown, Mill Park, Epping, Bundoora, parts of South Morang and Whittlesea Township are forecast to change.
These changes create a need for great choice of housing available to residents in these suburbs. We want to ensure that housing growth occurs in the right way and in appropriate locations.
The strategy aims to:
- identify the mix of housing types required for changing household types
- establishes preferred locations for housing growth close to public transport and services
- identifies 'Housing Change Areas' to provide the community with greater certainty regarding the extent of change to be expected in different parts of the municipality.
Why is a planning scheme amendment required?
The Housing Diversity Strategy identifies the following issues that can influence housing outcomes:
- Housing locations
- Housing diversity
- Housing design
What is the effect of this Amendment?
The Amendment will consist of 2 parts:
- a local planning policy (Housing Diversity and Design) to set out our expectations for the quality, diversity and location of various forms of multi-dwelling development
- residential zone schedules that include preferred character objectives, and that address the quality of residential development. This will be achieved through designing the development to provide space for canopy trees, and increasing the minimum dimensions for private open space.
The local planning policy will apply to the development of 2 or more dwellings, in the established areas, on land zoned Residential Growth Zone, General Residential Zone and Neighbourhood Residential Zone.
The residential zone schedules will apply to land zoned Residential Growth Zone and the majority of areas zoned General Residential Zone in the established areas.
The established areas include Bundoora, Lalor, Mill Park, Thomastown and parts of Epping and South Morang.
Why are some areas in the established suburbs affected by this Amendment and not others?
Listed below are the areas that are not included in the Amendment:
- Epping Central - Epping Central is a designated Metropolitan Activity Centre, and planning controls affecting housing outcomes were introduced in 2015. As such, a large proportion of residential land in Epping is zoned as an Activity Centre and is outside the scope of this Amendment.
Other residential areas in Epping that are zoned 'General Residential' are affected by the Amendment.
- Whittlesea Township - A separate strategic planning process is underway to investigate tools to guide development in the Township (including housing change) over the next 20 years.
- Lalor - Areas of Lalor that are zoned Neighbourhood Residential Zone will not be affected by the proposed zone schedules. However, the local planning policy will apply to these areas and may change the way that development of 2 or more dwellings is assessed for a planning permit.
- Bundoora - The residential area directly west of Bundoora Square Shopping Centre was to have been exhibited as Residential Growth Zone in Amendment C181 but was exhibited as General Residential Zone in error. The zone schedule for this area will remain unchanged at General Residential Zone Schedule 1.
The local planning policy will apply to this area and may change the way that development of 2 or more dwellings is assessed for a planning permit.
- The Development Plan Overlay covers some parts of the established area suburbs and reflects a pre-existing strategic planning process. These areas will not be affected by the Amendment and include:
- the areas known as Carlingford and Mosaic Living Estates in Lalor
- the retirement living development in the north-east corner of University Hill, Bundoora
Why will some building permit applicants be affected?
The purpose of Amendment C200 is to implement the Housing Diversity Strategy's Design Principles, including the provision of canopy trees in front and rear setbacks.This will contribute to the development of a preferred character in our established suburbs.
Consistent standards are proposed under both the planning and building regulations, to achieve the backyard spaces that can accommodate trees. For example, the proposed standard to be introduced would prevent the construction of walls on the rear boundary of lots in some areas zoned General Residential Zone.
How can I find out whether my property will be affected?
Maps have been provided to help you identify whether a new schedule is proposed for your property, and to view the content of the proposed schedules.
How do I find out more about the Amendment?
- Inspect the amendment and any supporting documents at our offices located at 25 Ferres Boulevard in South Morang (during business hours)
- on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website
You can also discuss this amendment with our Planning Team by calling 9217 2346.
How do I make a submission?
You can make a submission in writing including your name, contact address and stating the grounds on which the amendment is supported or opposed, and indicating what changes (if any) the submitter wishes to make.
Name and contact details of submitters are required for council to consider submissions, and to notify such persons of the opportunity to attend a Council Meeting and any public hearings held to consider submissions.
The closing date for submissions is July 2.
Send your submission to:
- email email@example.com
- mail to: Whittlesea Council, Locked Bag 1, Bundoora, MDC MC 3083