Skip to main content
Paying or appealing a fine

Paying or appealing a fine

We issue fines to encourage people to obey our local laws and Victorian Government laws. If you receive a fine from us, you can choose to pay in full, dispute the fine or have the matter heard in court.

Pay in full

You must pay within the due date on the fine.

Alternatively, you can pay by using one of the payment methods listed on the back of the fine.

Appealing a fine

If you believe there is a good reason for you not to pay a fine, you can apply for an internal review, as long as the matter has not been lodged with the Magistrates Court.

Reasons that are not valid

We do not consider the following grounds valid reasons for the withdrawal of a fine:

  • being new to, or unfamiliar with the City of Whittlesea, or a particular road rule
  • pulling into a signed restricted area to answer a phone
  • appointments or meetings running overtime
  • not noticing or misreading a parking sign
  • being unaware of which vehicles can use Loading Zones or Permit Zones
  • running out of petrol, or experiencing vehicle issues that did not require repair/towing

Reasons we will consider

We will only consider withdrawing a fine in the following circumstances (you’ll need to provide supporting evidence):

  • the infringement notice was issued 'contrary to law' (you believe you did not commit an offence)
  • the infringement notice was issued to the wrong person or vehicle (for example, you were not in the location or the wrong registration was recorded)
  • 'exceptional circumstances' (verifiable and unforeseen circumstances outside of your control) could excuse the infringement, such as:
    • a medical emergency (an injury/illness posing an immediate risk to a person’s life or long-term health)
    • a vehicle breakdown
    • you stopped to avoid a collision or in the interests of safety
  • you have 'special circumstances' that result in you being unable to either understand or control the conduct that led to the offence, such as:
    • a mental or intellectual disability, disorder, disease or illness, or
    • a serious addiction to drugs, or alcohol or a volatile substance, or
    • homelessness

Nominate another driver

We issue parking infringement notices to the registered owner of the vehicle, as per the registration details held by VicRoads.

If you were not the driver at the time of a parking offence, nominate the driver by completing and returning a signed:

You can email this form to or mail it to:

Local Laws
Locked Bag 1
Bundoora MDC VIC 3083

Information you need to provide

You need to provide all of the relevant information and any supporting documentation to us when you request a fine review.

We require verifiable independent documentation to consider withdrawing a fine on the grounds of exceptional circumstances. For example:

  • If your parking fine was due to a vehicle breakdown, you will need to provide an invoice for mechanical/roadside assistance or towing.
  • If you experienced a medical emergency, you will need to provide a letter from the hospital or treating medical practitioner confirming the emergency on the day.
  • If your objection relates to a parking permit, include the permit number, expiry date, issuing council and if possible, a copy of the permit.

Apply for a review

You can only request one review of your infringement notice, according to the Infringement Act 2006.

If you have applied for an internal review but have not received a response, please call us on 9217 2170.

It can take up to 90 days to review your infringement notice. If you have already requested a review, your notice will have been placed ‘on hold’ and you do not need to take further action until you receive our response.

How we conduct the internal review

When undertaking a review, we take into account all of the available information, including:

  • information collected by the issuing officer
  • circumstances outlined by you in your request for internal review (and any supporting documents)
  • requirements under the relevant legislation (for example, Road Safety Road Rules 2009, Environment Protection Act 1970 or Infringements Act 2006)

Process after you request a review

You will receive a written response by mail to your postal address advising you of the outcome of your review application.

If you provide insufficient information, we may contact you for more details before reviewing your infringement notice. If we don't receive this information by the specified date, we will make a decision based on the information at hand.

If the infringement is upheld, we will advise you of a new payment date.

If you don't pay the infringement notice, request a payment extension or elect to go to court by the new due date, you will incur further costs in late fees.

Having the matter heard at court

If you disagree with the outcome of your internal review, your remaining option is to have the matter heard at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court.

Note: If you don’t let us know that you wish to have the matter heard in court, you may incur further costs in late fees.

Overdue fines

If you do not pay your fine before the due date, or dispute it in writing, we will begin a 4-step collection process.

At each step, extra costs are added to the fine to cover the costs of collection.

Step 1 – Penalty Reminder Notice

If you do not respond or pay your fine before the due date, we will send you a penalty reminder notice, with a processing fee added to your fine.

If eligible, write to us requesting an extension of time to pay or to pay via a payment plan (eligibility criteria apply to any person on a Centrelink Pension card, Veteran Affairs card or Healthcare card).

Step 2 – Collection Service

If you do not respond or pay your fine before the due date on the penalty reminder notice, our collection service will send you a letter of demand with added fees applied.

The options are the same as for Step 1, but you now have only 14 days from the date of this letter to take action.

Step 3 – Magistrates Court

If you do not respond to Step 1 or 2, we will lodge the matter with the Magistrates' Court. You will receive a charge and summons, which will include the date, time and place of the hearing.

If you do not attend court on the date/time of the hearing, or do not get the court’s permission to be absent from proceedings, the case will continue despite your absence.

If you are ordered to pay the fine, you will receive a Court Order of enforcement, which will include the fine and the costs to Council to date.

Step 4 – Sheriff’s Warrant

If you do not respond to the Magistrates' Court Order within the time set by the Magistrate, a warrant will be issued with even further costs set by the State Government.

A warrant gives the Sheriff power to demand payment of the fine and all costs, or to take your possessions as security.

Find out more about the Sheriff’s Functions.