Skip to main content

Have your say on the naming of the new community centre in Wollert East

Have your say on the naming of the new community centre in Wollert East

Monday, June 07, 2021

A new community centre is being built at 135 De Rossi Boulevard in Wollert East in partnership with the Victorian School Building Authority. The centre will open in 2022 and will include a kindergarten, a large community hall, a maternal and child health service, meeting rooms and a shared community kitchen.

Council is proposing to name this centre ‘Kirrip Community Centre’. 


About the name

Kirrip means ‘friend’ in the local Woi Wurrung language of the Wurundjeri people. During initial investigations of the centre site, a variety of Aboriginal artefacts were found, and the nearby school also contains a site of Aboriginal significance. In response, Council approached the Wurundjeri Woi-Wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation for suggestions of an appropriate name for the centre and Kirrip was offered and agreed as it refers to the opportunities provided by the centre for friendships to be created.

The proposed name ‘Kirrip Community Centre’ aligns strongly to the Naming Rules for Places in Victoria and Council’s Naming Policy for Features. It reflects and celebrates the Aboriginal history of the centre’s location, supports Council’s commitment to reconciliation, is easy to pronounce, and cannot be confused with other kindergarten or community centre names.


How to have your say

In accordance with the Naming Rules for Places in Victoria, your feedback is invited on the proposed name ‘Kirrip Community Centre’ by 5pm, Friday 9 July 2021. You can give your feedback by completing the brief survey online.


Location of centre

New community centre at 135 De Rossi Boulevard, Wollert



If you have any questions or would like further information about the naming of this community centre, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 9217 2564 or by email to

If you would like more information on the formal naming process at Council, please contact Council’s Governance department on 9217 2294.


Support and assistance

f you do not speak English, we offer various language services to help you communicate with us. To communicate with us via the free telephone interpreter service, please phone 131 450.

If you have a hearing or speech impairment you may use the National Relay Service.

If you would like a printed copy of the survey, please contact us on 9217 2564 or by email to