Skip to main content
Fireworks permit

Fireworks permit

Find out how to apply for a fireworks permit at your public event.

It’s illegal to set off fireworks in a public place without first obtaining a fireworks permit from Council and the Victorian WorkCover Authority.

Fireworks are only allowed to be used by pyrotechnics contractors who hold a current WorkSafe permit to discharge fireworks, and hold their own liability insurance cover. The contractor you engage is responsible for obtaining a Council permit to discharge fireworks. We may issue a permit as long as certain conditions are met including notifying the following:

  • Our Local Laws Departments – 42 days before the event
  • Residents within 200m of the fireworks site – by post or letterbox drop within 28 days of the event
  • The broader community via local newspaper advertisements – no more than 21 days and no less than 7 days before the event
  • Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) or Country Fire Authority (CFA) in the area

For more information see our Fireworks Policy.


(this block hasn't been configured properly, please select the folder where the files are located)

Apply for a fireworks permit

Download and complete an application form and submit to our Local Laws Department.