Skip to main content


Contact us at if you need assistance accessing any of the information on this page.

We can also help you access it in your preferred language - call 131 450 for support.

If you require the information in other formats please let us know. 


Latest restrictions

On Sunday 6 September, the Victorian Government announced a Coronavirus roadmap to reopening. This involved five steps with various restrictions being eased.

From Monday 28 September Metropolitan Melbourne entered the Second Step to reopening.

Second Step

From 11.59pm on Sunday 27 September 2020, restrictions changeed for Metropolitan Melbourne (including the whole of the City of Whittlesea):

  • The curfew across metropolitan Melbourne was abolished.
  • Restrictions on public gatherings have eased - up to 5 people from a maximum of two households can meet outdoors in a public place for social interaction, exercise or recreation for a maximum of 2 hours and within 5km of their home.
  • If you live alone or are a single parent with all your children under 18 you can have 1 nominated visitor to your home.
  • Playgrounds and outdoor gym equipment are open but skate parks and other recreational facilities remain closed.
  • You can exercise for a maximum of two hours a day within 5km or your home or work, if you are a permitted worker.
  • Primary and VCE students will return to school from 12 October.
  • Childcare and kindergarten will reopen.
  • More workers have been added to the permitted workers list
  • Fines for breaching restrictions have been increased to $5000
  • Face coverings are still compulsory and are now required to be fitted masks, not face shields, scarves or bandanas.
  • Shopping is no longer limited to one person per household. 

The 5km rule still applies.

Restrictions are different for regional areas.

Melbourne will move to the next step on at the earliest on 19 October if cases reach an average of 5 per day over the preceeding 14-day period with less than 5 cases of unknown transmission, subject to health advice.

Read more about the roadmap on the Victorian Government's website.

From 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August, employers that require their staff to attend a work site must issue a worker permit to their employees – this is the employer’s responsibility.

Find out more on the DHHS website. You can download the Permitted worker permit (Word).

Visit the Department of Health and Human Services website for more information about how restrictions apply to:

  • Sport and exercise
  • Entertainment and culture
  • Religion and ceremony
  • Community services
  • Travel
  • Cafes and restaurants
  • Shopping and retail and personal services
  • Work and study

How do I report a breach of COVID-19 restrictions?

To report a suspected breach of public health restrictions, such as: 

  • Stage 4 restrictions
  • Isolation
  • Business breaches

Contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or report online.

Restrictions are in place to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and save lives.

Latest advice

Victorians with even mild symptoms are asked to get tested to help the government better track the spread of the virus.

The symptoms to watch out for are:

  • Fever
  • Chills or sweats
  • Cough
  • Sore throat
  • Shortness of breath
  • Runny nose
  • Loss of sense of smell 

In certain circumstances headache, muscle soreness, stuffy nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea may also be considered.

Tests are free and you should bring your Medicare card.

To get further advice, call the 24-hour coronavirus hotline 1800 675 398 or speak to your local doctor.

A new Call-to-Test serviced will enable vulnerable people who cannot leave home due to injury, mobility or other eligible reasons to get tested at home. Read more about about to access this service.

Testing is available at the Northern Hospital in Epping and Austin Health in Heidelberg.

Testing is also available at the following pop-up testing sites:

  • Pacific Epping Shopping Centre, High St, Epping. 7 days. 9am-5pm.
  • Northland Shopping Centre, Murray Rd, Preston. 7 days. 9am-5pm
  • Woodland Waters Reserve, Waterview Drive, Mernda. 7 days 9.30am-4.30pm.

You can also get tested at:

Call 1800 675 398 for more information or 

Read more on the DHHS website.

If you HAVE symptoms, no matter how mild, and get tested you need to STAY HOME until you received your coronavirus test result.

You may be eligible for a Victorian Government payment if you don't have access to sick leave and are required to isolate. More information is available here.

You should take the following actions to stay safe:

  • wear a mask when you leave home
  • practice good hygiene
  • maintain physical distancing, keep at least 1.5 metres away from others
  • understand the risk and symptoms
  • help continue to slow the spread of COVID-19 by getting tested, even if you have mild symptoms
  • stay home and avoid contact if you’re feeling unwell
  • take care wherever you go, assume others may be carrying the virus.

More information is available here.

Health care

  • It is important to seek emergency care if you have serious or life-threatening symptoms, and those requiring urgent care should attend the emergency department.
  • People with minor, less-urgent conditions should seek medical advice from their general practitioner (GP) in the first instance.
  • Do not put off seeking medical care - you are allowed to leave home to access medical services. Read more.

Can I leave home in an emergency?

  • You can leave your home during an emergency if your home is unsafe.
  • If a power outage impacts your health or safety or the health and safety of someone you live with, you can travel to a friend of family member's house.

Read more on the DHHS website.

The City of Whittlesea plays a vital role in ensuring public health and has been monitoring all new information about the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The health and safety of our community is our number one priority. Responding to advice from medical professionals and to comply with social distancing requirements we have closed several council facilities, made changes to Council services to ensure we keep delivering for our community, and cancelled events to help stop the spread of the disease.

Due to the rapidly changing situation, we continue to monitor operations and will keep you informed via this dedicated page.

You can also follow us on Facebook or our Whittlesea Unites Page.

Our customer service desk is currently closed. You can call us on (03) 9217 2170 or email us at If you need to pay an invoice, call us so we can talk with you about your payment options.

Contact us at if you need assistance accessing any of the below information.

We can also help you access it in your preferred language - call 131 450 for support.

If you require the information in other formats please let us know. 

Yes. The CovidSafe app speeds up contacting people exposed to COVID-19 (coronavirus).

About the COVIDSafe app

Where can I find more information about COVID-19?

The most reliable information on the coronavirus can be found on both the Victorian and Australian government’s websites.

Victorian Government
1800 675 398

Australian Government or
1800 020 080

There is a self assessment tool available on the DHHS website which helps assess if you are at risk of COVID-19.

Download the Australian Government's information app:

Join the Australian Government's WhatsApp channel on iOS or Android.

Download the COVIDSafe app:













Click here to visit the DHHS website for COVID-19 information translated in other languages.

You can call the coronavirus hotline if you have concerns: 1800 675 398. If you need an interpreter call 131 450.


Additional resources:

Translated Government messaging can be found on the Victorian Government DHHS Youtube channel.

SBS information hub has multiple languages: SBS website

DPV Health multicultural resources: DPV Health

Victorian Multicultural Commission has range of information about COVID-19 in other languages

There is information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Victorians on the DHHS website.

There is also information on the Australian Government website: resources