Skip to main content

Burning off

Information about permits required to burn off on your property.

Year-round restrictions

Residents must ensure that all grass, weeds and scrub on their property are less than 10cm high.

It is illegal to light incinerators in the City of Whittlesea.

Rural areas

If you live on a rural property greater than 0.8 hectares, you can only burn off during a Declared Fire Season if you have a fire permit. You do not require a permit to burn outside of a Declared Fire Season.

Urban areas

If you live in an urban or residential area, or your property is smaller than 0.8 hectares, you must have a fire permit to burn off at any time of the year.

Apply for a permit to burn in an urban area

You can apply for a fire permit from our Municipal Fire Prevention Officer by downloading, completing and returning an application form with a burn plan and the relevant application fee.

Apply to burn during the Declared Fire Season

Under very strict conditions you can apply for a fire permit during the Declared Fire Season.

Download, complete and return this form along with a detailed burn plan. No application fee is required for this permit.