Our hard waste collection service is for household items that are broken or cannot be reused.
If your unwanted household items are reusable and in good condition, please give them to someone who needs them - see Donate or sell unwanted household items.
A standard hard waste collection equals 2 large hard waste items (e.g. a mattress and 2-seater couch) and 2 small hard waste items (e.g. boxes of odds and ends).
White goods, TVs and computers
We no longer collect old or broken fridges, washing machines, dishwashers, clothes driers, TVs or computers.
Take your e-waste to a better place
From 1 July 2019, the Victorian Government will introduce a ban on the disposal of e-waste through household garbage collections. E-waste refers to any item with a battery or cord.
We will continue to collect e-waste as part of hard rubbish collection up until 1 July 2019, however you can also take your e-waste item to be recycled for free at the designated recycling skips at:
• Hanson’s Wollert Landfill, 55 Bridge Inn Road, Wollert
• Surplus Recycling Solutions Pty Ltd, 304-308 Mahoneys Road, Thomastown.
For more information on e-waste visit ewaste.vic.gov.au
To recycle fluorescent light globes, household batteries, mobile phones and accessories, cameras and accessories, printer cartridges and x-rays take them to one of our community recycling stations.
Take note of items that can and cannot be collected.
Acceptable hard waste items
- boxes of odds and ends
- broken toys and rags
- curtains that cannot be reused
- furniture - with doors taped and securely tied
- mattresses and bed bases
- small amounts of timber offcuts - you can also drop these off for free at the Timber Waste Facility with the vouchers on your Rates Notice
- wrapped glass
Unacceptable hard waste items
- aerosol cans
- air conditioning units
- basketball rings - unless dismantled
- building or renovation materials
- car parts or tyres
- carpet or underlay
- concrete, rubble or soil
- corrugated sheeting
- fence palings
- recycling or garden waste
- furniture with untied doors
- hot water services
- liquids, chemicals or unidentifiable items
- locked containers - eg suitcases, filing cabinets where content is not easily accessible to identifiable
- oil heaters
- trampolines - unless dismantled
- Unwrapped glass or polystyrene
- whitegoods including fridges, freezers, ovens, microwaves, dishwashers, washing machines and clothes driers - Find out how to dispose of whitegoods
The quickest way to book your free collection is to call us on 9217 2170 with the details of items you wanted collected and we will advise you of your collection date.
Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org - please ensure you provide details of all items for collection.
- Place your hard waste material neatly on your nature strip the night before collection, ensuring it is contained and will not blow or wash away.
- Collection will take place the following day but no specific time is allocated so please allow the full day.
- Extra items that you place out for collection but do not mention when making your initial booking will not be collected.
- Your waste material must be able to be easily lifted by 2 people to shoulder height.