Skip to main content

Filming and photography

If you are planning to conduct any commercial filming - including still photography - within public gardens, reserves, roadways or footpaths in the City of Whittlesea, you need to first obtain a filming permit.

When do I need a filming permit?

You need to apply for a permit to film if you wish to use Whittlesea City's roadways, parks and gardens, sporting grounds, footpaths and laneways for your film shoot.

Commercial/major impact filming

You are required to apply for a filming permit if it is a commercial activity or has a major impact.

A major impact shoot involves extensive equipment and crew such as:

  • Equipment including tripods, dollies, generators and lighting
  • Requirement for tents and/or marquees
  • Production trucks and cars
  • Requirement for reserved parking
  • Requirement of a traffic management plan

Commercial/ minor impact filming 

You are required to apply for a filming permit for a minor impact filming activity.

Minor impact could include small budget productions, adds and still shots. Equipment and crew could include but is not limited to:

  • A filming activity involving approximately 6 people
  • No more than 1 camera, 1 tripod, and handheld sound recording equipment
  • Public safety to be maintained at all times
  • All public pathways, footpaths and roads must not be blocked

Student and non-profit making filming

Students and non-profit making film makers are still required to apply for a permit. You will not be charged the permit fee.

Filming with a drone

The Civil Aviation Authority (CASA) regulates the use of drones.

Read more on the CASA website.

Applying for a permit

Fill in the application form below.

Allow 10 working days for your permit to be processed.


  • All filming $211.00
  • Student filming FREE
  • Non-profit making films FREE