Skip to main content

Hoarding permit for building works

You will need a hoarding permit if your building work require any part of a public access way to be fenced off.

Hoardings and barricades are usually required to be installed around building sites both to protect the public and to secure the site when unattended.

You may still need a hoarding permit, even where no building permit is required or where work is not 'building work' (for example, painting not associated with a building project).

If your building work requires any part of a public access way or area of Council property to be fenced off – you will need permission.

Who decides?

It is the responsibility of the relevant building surveyor, in accordance with the Building Regulations to:

  • decide when precautions are required through the project
  • seek details of precautions from the designer/builder
  • approve the suitability of those precautions, and
  • apply for report and consent pursuant to Regulation 116 of the Building Regulations

Apply for a hoarding permit

After obtaining a building permit (if relevant), the builder must obtain a hoarding permit by submitting the following information and fees, before the barriers or hoardings are erected:

  • hoarding permit application form
  • the relevant permit fee:
    • multiple dwellings - $280 plus $1 per square metre of space occupied per week, up to a maximum of $100 per week
  • a copy of any report and consent pursuant to Regulation 116 of the Building Regulations, if the hoarding relates to building works
  • a detailed plan (scale 1:200) showing the area and dimensions of the footpath or road that will be occupied and any pedestrian or traffic advisory signs or devices that are required.
  • an indication of the height and type of hoarding to be erected (preferred minimum height is 1.8m), and the sectional detail showing the methods of support to ensure lateral stability
  • start and finish dates – these must be clearly stated and adhered to
  • a letter from the relevant building surveyor of the project, giving approval to the proposed method of public protection
  • evidence of a public liability insurance policy with the minimum required coverage (either $10,000,000 or $20,000,000 depending on the nature of the works) for the period of the permit.

The builder must also:

  • maintain a minimum clearance of 1.5m next to the border offrom the hoarding, to allow safe pedestrian movement
  • ensure that no part of the hoarding/barricade supports (feet/blocks) are allowed to intrude beyond the face of the hoarding.
  • pay the application fee

In some circumstances alternative access arrangements will need to be made for pedestrians. In these situations a detailed plan (scale 1:200) showing the alternative pedestrian path will need to be approved by Council.

In assessing hoarding applications in the above cases we check suitability against likely risks and the impact on pedestrians, traffic movement and services.