Skip to main content

Reporting Child Abuse

We all have role to play in keeping children and young people safe from harm and abuse.

If you suspect or know of a child or young person being abused, you must report it:

  • If a child or young person is in immediate danger, contact Police on Triple Zero (000)
  • For immediate concerns about the safety of a child, contact the Department of Human Services Child Protection Crisis Line by telephone on 13 12 78 or visit Child Protection - DHHS.
  • to discuss concerns about the safety of a child or young person, contact your local Police Station.

Council is committed to being a child-safe organisation. All concerns raised with Council will be taken seriously and where appropriate will be reported to authorities and investigated by Council.

Any complaints about a City of Whittlesea employee, Administrator, volunteer or contractor’s behaviour or conduct towards a child or young person will be handled in accordance with the Victorian Reportable Conduct Scheme.

To notify Council of any concerns please email (Monitored during business hours only) or call 9217 2170 (24 hours). If you speak a language other than English, you can call 131 450. You can also contact the Commission for Children and Young People at (Monitored during business hours only) or call 1300 78 29 78 (9.30–11.30am and 2.00–4.00pm Monday to Friday, except on public holidays)

Additional resources

What is child abuse?

Reporting past abuse as an adult

Signs of neglect