The children are cared for in a registered educator's home, and supported by the coordination unit staff.
The family day care service offers:
- full and part-time care
- outside school hours care
- school holiday care
- respite care
- care for children with additional needs
Quality of care
We select educators who:
- are qualified with Certificate III in Children’s Services or with a higher child care qualification
- provide a safe, hygienic, secure and smoke-free childcare environment
- have a professional, caring attitude towards children
- respect the individual and diverse needs of children
- provide developmentally appropriate activities/experiences
- hold a current First Aid Certificate, anaphylaxis and asthma training
- attend training to enhance their professional development
- undertake a National Police Record Check and Working with Children Check
- represent the cultural diversity of the local community
The coordination unit visit the educators' homes regularly to review and maintain this quality of care.
Each educator is self-employed and has their own fee structure.
The Australian Government can help eligible families with the cost of Family Day Care through Child Care Benefit (CCB) and Child Care Rebate (CCR) payments. To find out if you are eligible:
- visit the Family Assistance website
- call 13 61 50 between 8am and 8pm (local time) Monday to Friday
- visit a Service Centre (located in Medicare Offices and Centrelink Service Centres)