Skip to main content

Works in road reserve permit (vehicle crossover)

You will need Council consent to carry out any excavation works within a road reservation such as digging up part of a road, nature strip or footpath, constructing a new vehicle crossing or closing a redundant crossing.

Move or close a vehicle crossing or driveway

Property owners must ensure that each point of vehicle access from a road to the property has a properly-constructed vehicle crossing (also known as a driveway crossing or crossover).

You must seek an assessment and obtain approval for crossing locations from our City Design and Transport Department. To apply for approval, submit a Works in road reserves permit application form.

Crossings must be located at least 6m from the tangent point of a road intersection (see diagram below), and at least 1m (except for street trees which require 2.5m) from the following assets:

  • road signs
  • light poles
  • electricity pits
  • telecom pits
  • fibre optic pits
  • stormwater pits
  • sewer pits
  • fire hydrants
  • fire plugs
  • valves
  • parking bays
  • pram crossings

Dial before you dig

Before any excavation, the works manager must contact Dial Before You Dig (telephone: 1100) and check the locations of underground infrastructure assets such as electricity cable, gas pipe, water pipe, drain pipe and telecom conduits.

Vehicle crossings must be constructed according to our Guidelines for Urban Development.

Where works involve relocating or closing a point of vehicle access, the redundant part of the vehicle crossing must be removed.

Pre-pour inspection

You must book a pre-pour inspection with us at least 48 hours before pouring the concrete for the vehicle crossing. 

Pipe and culvert crossings

A culvert crossing is the treatment where no kerb and channel exists. 

If you require a pipe or culvert crossing, call us on 9217 2170 for an inspection and advice on the proper construction.

We will provide you with a quotation for the works and you can then decide if you wish to do the work yourself, or have us do it for you. If you do the work, or hire a private contractor, you will need to first obtain a Works in road reserve permit.

Modify an urban nature strip

You must obtain a Works in Road Reserve permit before modifying the nature strip outside your property.

View our Nature strip guidelines.


The fees below are current from July 2018.

  • Vehicle crossing - $137.70
  • Minor works (i.e. service connection where excavation is limited to within nature strip) - $88.80
  • Other works (fees depend on the situation) - Between $88.80 and $638.30

Water tapping and stormwater drainage connections

Water tappings and stormwater drainage connections must be conducted by a qualified plumber and installed at least 1m (except for street trees which require 2.5m) from the following assets:

  • road signs
  • light poles
  • electricity pits
  • telecom pits
  • fibre optic pits
  • stormwater pits
  • sewer pits
  • fire hydrants
  • fire plugs
  • valves
  • parking bays
  • pram crossings
  • vehicle crossings

This permit only allows you to excavate for water tappings and drainage connections within the nature strip. If you need to excavate in areas other than the nature strip, you must seek approval from our City Design and Transport department immediately.

Drainage connections (connecting a stormwater drain pipe to a Council drain), must be constructed and installed according to our Guidelines for Urban Development

Where works make certain drainage pipes redundant, these pipes must be removed.

Pre-backfill inspection

You must book a pre-backfill inspection with us at least 48 hours before constructing a drainage connection.

Final inspection

You must book a Council inspection once the works are completed.

Permit requirements

Depth of cover

Unless otherwise approved, the minimum depth of cover over services shall be:

  • 800 mm below the road surface of a fully constructed street
  • 300 mm below footpath and nature strip
  • the depth as determined by our City Design and Transport department when it is not a fully constructed street

Existing conduits

In some constructed streets, conduits for service pipe/cable may have been provided. You must make use of such conduits wherever practical.

Please contact the City Design and Transport Department for their locations.

Damage to assets

You must report any damage to assets used for providing services such as electricity, gas, water, telecom, sewer and drain to the appropriate authority.


You must:

  • have a Traffic Management Plan in operation while the works are being undertaken, according to the Road Safety Act 1986
  • give appropriate warnings to road users
  • engage appropriately qualified and trained people
  • give appropriate directions to those engaged in the works

You must take reasonable steps to:

  • minimise disruption to traffic
  • minimise damage to roads and other infrastructure
  • ensure the works are undertaken safely
  • conduct works as quickly as possible
  • protect and preserve roadside vegetation
  • make adequate provisions for people with disabilities
  • comply with any conditions included on the written permit

Traffic Management Plan

Although in some cases, we may not need to approve your Traffic Management Plan, you still must have one in operation as part of your works, especially when workers are present. The Traffic Management Plan must also be available to be viewed on site if requested by the Victoria Police or an authorised Council officer.

You can find advice on preparing a Traffic Management Plan on page 12 of VicRoads’ Code of Practice for Worksite Safety – Traffic Management (PDF – 1.2MB). Alternatively, you can engage a traffic management consultant.

Find out about