The bike paths and on-road cycling routes ensure that drivers, pedestrians and cyclists can safely share the road, and encourage the use of bicycles as a healthy and sustainable way to get around.
Bicycle Plan 2016-2020
We recently invited public feedback on our draft Bicycle Plan 2015-2019, which aims to encourage and promote cycling in our community and make cycling safer.
Northern Regional Trails Strategy
The Northern Regional Trails Strategy was released by the Minister for Sport and Recreation in November 2016. This is a joint project by the City of Whittlesea, Banyule, Hume, Moreland and Nillumbik councils and supported by the State Government.
This strategy will guide the development of a 780km recreational off-road network.
Bike paths map
Our bike paths map shows the existing bike lanes and paths within our established urban areas, as well as community facilities, libraries, shopping centres, and train and tram routes. We regularly update the map when new bike paths are built.
Suggested on-road cycling routes
Local cycling ambassadors have recommended the following on-road cycling routes and refreshment stops in the City of Whittlesea.
Cycling ambassador - Shannon Johnson
Shannon Johnson made the move from motorcycle racing to road cycling in 2011.
Shannon’s achievements in cycling so far include coming fourth in the 2011 Belgium Masters Cycling Championships, 2 firsts in the Australian Championships, together with a first in the Jayco Bay Crit Support Series.
Favourite cycling route
This training ride is approximately 60-70kms. Distance travelled will vary depending on the number of laps at both Yan Yean Reservoir and at Hill Street, Whittlesea.
- Start in South Morang and head north along Plenty Road (10km).
- Turn right on to Arthurs Creek Road and travel through and then left on to Recreation Road (1.4km).
- Once you arrive at Yan Yean Reservoir, Shannon likes to complete a series of 10-20 laps (approximately 20km) around the park.
- Once complete head back out on to Recreation Road and then right on to Arthurs Creek Road (1.4km).
- You will then turn right on to Plenty Road and head north towards Whittlesea Township (6.7km).
- Continue along Beech Street and you will go past the Whittlesea Showgrounds on your left and then turn right into Hill Street (1.3km).
- Shannon prefers to do a number of repetitions of this short hill climb (11km). The view looking out towards Mount Disappointment will keep you motivated for a number of laps.
- Once complete head back along Beech Street and turn left into Church Street (1.2km).
- There are many cafes and bakeries to choose from but Shannon is particularly fond of the Whittlesea Bakehouse located on the left hand side (210m).
- After your delicious lunch and coffee break head south down Church Street to Laurel Street (190m).
- Turn right onto Laurel Street and then left on to Plenty Road (250m).
- Travel along Plenty Road back to your starting point in South Morang (16.1km).
Suggested refreshment stop
34 Church Street,
P: 9716 1318
Cycling ambassador - Lauchlan Denny
Lauchlan is our youngest cycling ambassador at only 16 years of age.
Lauchlan’s achievements so far include completing a 9 day solo cycling trek from Melbourne to Sydney to raise over $11,000 to benefit disadvantaged school children in Kathmandu, Nepal.
He has also been awarded an ESS Athlete Development Scholarship. Watch out for this young talent as many have already suggested he could be the next Cadel Evans.
Favourite cycling route
This training ride is approximately 87km.
- Start at Waterview Drive, Mernda, turn left on to Plenty Road (500m).
- Continue along Plenty Road and take a slight right on to Macmeikan Street, Whittlesea (11.3km).
- Head north on Macmeikan Street towards Beech Street (1.6km) and go through one roundabout.
- Head north-east on Yea Road, turning right onto Healesville-Kinglake Road (11.7km).
- Head south-east on Whittlesea- Kinglake Road towards Macs Road (12.6km).
- At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Heidelberg-Kinglake Road (12.5km).
- Turn right onto School Road (2.4km).
- Continue onto Hildebrand Road (4.4km).
- Turn left onto Cottles Bridge-Strathewen Road (550m).
- Head north on Cottles Bridge-Strathewen Road towards Barreenong Road (550m).
- Turn left onto Mine Road (2.6km).
- Head south on Mine Road towards Hurstbridge- Arthurs Creek Road (1.1km).
- Turn right onto Hurstbridge-Arthurs Creek Road (4.2km).
- Continue onto Arthurs Creek Road (4.3km).
- Head west on Arthurs Creek Road towards Running Creek Road (5.5km).
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Plenty Road (2.1km).
- Head south on Plenty Road and turn left at Hazel Glen Drive (2.1km).
- Take the first right onto Schotters Road (550m).
- Lauchlan prefers to stop off on the left hand side at Mernda Bakery Café. Here you will find a selection of daily baked bread, pies and cakes.
- Head south on Schotters Road and turn right onto Bridge Inn Road (1km).
- At the roundabout take the first exit onto Plenty Road (1.4km).
- At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Waterview Drive, Mernda (650m).
Suggested refreshment stops
Turners Bakehouse Eatery
107 Schotters Road
P: 9717 5834
Flying Tarts Bakery and Café
888 Whittlesea-Kinglake Road
P: 5786 5800