You can request access to any documents we hold, but there are some exemptions under the Act. You can also request that we amend or delete incorrect or misleading personal information held about you.
You can also download, inspect or purchase many Council documents without the need to make a formal Freedom of Information (FOI) request. See Documents available for public inspection.
How to make a Freedom of Information request
You can make an FOI request in person or by mail.
You must include the following in your application:
- a completed and signed Freedom of Information Request Form
- payment of the non-refundable application fee - we accept cheque, cash, credit card or EFTPOS, but mailed applications can only be paid by cheque or credit card
To apply in person, bring the above items to our Civic Centre offices.
Alternatively, you can mail your request form with payment details to:
City of Whittlesea
Locked Bag 1
Bundoora MDC VIC 3083
If your request relates to correcting personal information we hold about you, you will need to provide specific details of the amendments that need to be made. No charges apply for requests to correct or amend your own personal information.
Further charges may be imposed to recover, in part, the cost of accessing the required information and for the time spent by our staff in providing such information. These include:
- search fee: $22.20 per hour (or part of an hour) rounded to nearest 10 cents
- supervisor inspection of documents: $5.60 per quarter hour, rounded to nearest 10 cents
- photocopying of documents (black and white): 20 cents per A4 page
Our FOI Officer will determine the additional charges, and notify you if charges are likely to exceed $50.
Fees are applicable as at 1 July 2019.
Under the Act, we have 30 days from receiving a valid request to make a decision on whether to release the document(s), and 30 days to make a decision relating to the correction or amendment of your own personal information. You will be notified, in writing, of this decision.
Appeal and review
Where we deny access to a document (or defer a decision), we will advise you of the reasons for the decision and your rights to seek a review of the decision.