*Grants close Saturday 1 June at 11.59pm.
In the past year, 26 applicants shared in $20,000 in grant funding.
We understand that arts/cultural and sporting pursuits are different, so we have 2 application categories:
Arts and cultural grants
These grants aim to:
- help local young people pursue excellence in arts and/or cultural spheres by:
- increase participation by young people in arts and/or cultural activities
- foster community pride in the arts and/or cultural activities pursued by local young people
- provide opportunities for young people to further develop existing skills through competing, exhibiting and/or performing in state, national or international events conducted by recognised arts and/or cultural associations or organisations
These grants aim to help local young people to pursue excellence in sports by:
- providing opportunities for young people to further develop skills
- encouraging participation in state, national or internationally-certified championship-type events/competitions run by recognised sporting associations
- increase participation by young people in sporting activities
- foster community pride in the sporting activities pursued by young people within our City
Before applying, please read our Grant Conditions below.
The amount that you may be granted is between $200 and $1200 depending on several factors, including:
- the activity you are participating in and the duration
- whether you are travelling locally, interstate or overseas
- your income, or your parent’s/guardian’s income
You do not have to pay tax on your grant. However, you must complete the Australian Taxation Office's Statement by a Supplier form, and return it with your application. The grant will be paid via cheque to the person nominated on the Statement of Supplier form.
Note: Funding is directly linked to either a dependent applicant's family's eligibility for the the Australian Government’s Family Assistance Office Family Tax Benefit A or the applicant's eligibility for Youth Allowance. If your income or your parent’s/guardian’s income is above the amount that Youth Allowance or Family Tax Benefit Part A is no longer paid, you are not eligible for a Grant from Council.
How to apply
You can only apply for either the Arts and Cultural Grant, or the Sporting Grant. Please note that grants are subject to a means test.
To apply for either grant, download the appropriate application form:
You can also download a copy of the application form below.
You must also include the following with your application form:
- Copy of Birth Certificate/Passport/Drivers Licence
- Two written references
- Evidence that the applicant is a resident of the City of Whittlesea, such as a utility account, rates notice or drivers licence
- Proof of income of parents/guardians (if applicant is a student) or applicant's income (if employed) such as most recent Income Tax Assessment Notice
- Copy of a letter from the relevant organisation/association inviting participation
- Completed Statement of Supplier Form from the Australian Tax Office
Frequently Asked Questions
How long until I know if my application has been successful?
You will receive an acknowledgement letter confirming your application has been received.
Grants are generally considered by the advisory committee within 2 weeks of being received.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application within 2 days of the delegate's decision and the value of the grant approved.
How will the grant be paid?
The grant will be paid via cheque to the person nominated in the Australian Tax Office Statement Form (required as part of your application).
How long until I receive my grant?
Up to 2 weeks after you have been notified of the successful outcome of your application.
Do I have to pay on my grant?
No, if you are participating in the activity as an amateur, complete the Statement by Supplier Form provided in the grant application and return to us with your application.
What if your activity is cancelled or you don't participate?
If you have been awarded a grant, and for some reason the activity is cancelled or you are unable to participate, you are required to advise us immediately and the whole grant amount must be returned to Council.
Can Council provide extra assistance if I require a personal carer to accompany me?
We will consider your request for extra financial assistance upon application.
Preference will be given if you have a Companion Card, please attach a copy of your card with your application.