Benefits of a Food Safety Program
The benefits of having a Food Safety Program include:
- improved legal protection because you can demonstrate how you produce safe food
- improved business reputation because customers know that the food you prepare, serve, manufacture and sell is safe
- improved record keeping and cost control in your business
How to get a Food Safety Program
Businesses can get a Food Safety Program developed independently or produced from a registered template. You can prepare registered Food Safety Programs quickly and easily, and submit them to us for approval using the FoodSmart website.
Food Safety Supervisor
You must have a nominated Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) in your business, as part of your Food Safety Program.
The Food Safety Supervisor is a person who:
- knows how to recognise, prevent and reduce hazards associated with food handling in your food premises
- has a Statement of Attainment that shows the required food safety competencies from a registered Training Organisation (RTO)
- has the ability and authority to supervise other people handling food at your premises and ensure that food handling is done safely
For more information on the Food Safety Program, visit the Department of Health website.
For more information on registering a food business, contact our Health Services Department on 9217 2277 or email email@example.com.