Work experience for students
Work experience provides students with the opportunity to apply and enhance their knowledge and technical skills within a practical workplace setting.
Our placements at Council expose students to a variety of tasks and projects which may be relevant to their field or desired field of study.
Students also receive insight into how business and industry operate and relate to other organisational functions.
Work experience placements are available in a variety of work areas at Council, giving applicants plenty of scope to apply themselves within a diverse organisation.
Eligibility and conditions
- You must be a student at an educational institution at the time the work experience application is lodged
- You must be at least 15 years old and/or year 10 at the time the application is lodged
- Placements are only available to students from approved educational institutions (usually public and private secondary schools, TAFE, universities and other employment training organisations)
- Personal injury insurance for the student must be covered by the relevant education institution or program
- Placements are a maximum of 2 weeks
- Work experience students will be reimbursed $10 per day
- Dress requirements during placements are safe, neat and tidy, and suitable for the particular work environment
- Information obtained whilst undertaking work experience is deemed confidential and must not be divulged to any other party
When to apply
We have 2 intakes only for Work Experience placements each year:
- Round 1 (March – End June) - First round applications close on 16 March
- Round 2 (July – End November) - Second round applications close 13 July
We try to accommodate all requests, but places are limited so please give at least 6 weeks notice prior to the required dates.
The likelihood of a placement is increased if sufficient notice is given as it allows us time to seek and plan for a placement.
Migrants and refugees
Our Work Ready program supports newly-arrived non-student migrants and refugees in the municipality to become ready for the workforce.
It is a 12 week placement (2 days per week) which enables participants to gain experience and knowledge of the Australian workplace culture.
The Work Ready Program creates meaningful work experience placements to overcome the employment challenges and lack of Australian work experience faced by immigrants and refugees.
It also builds participants skills, networks and confidence to help them go on to pursue and secure a job in the wider community.
How to apply
To apply for the Work Ready program, complete the Work Ready Request Form.
"I found that learning by participating directly in the workplace is a great opportunity of building faster and better skills on the path to the employment" – Lidija
"I have gained tremendous experience, not only from the work aspect, but culturally and personally too" - Agnes
Aboriginal pathways to employment
We are committed to improving employment outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (Aboriginal) people.
We have adopted an Aboriginal Employment Pathways Strategy and Action Plan that guides how we can be a culturally appropriate and inclusive workplace, where Aboriginal people choose to work because they feel welcomed and valued.
Apply to be part of our Aboriginal Employment Pathways Program
If you are interested in joining our program, email the following to email@example.com:
- Description of your interests
- Working hours and availability
- Any restrictions you may have
- Employment history
- Qualifications and/or certificates
- Any relevant licenses you have obtained
- A copy of your latest resume (if available)