Skip to main content

Complaints handling & resolution

We aim to provide excellent customer service. If our service does not meet your expectations, we want to know about it so that we can fix the problem quickly.


Please note that this procedure relates to complaints about services provided by the City of Whittlesea, and does not cover decisions made by Council at a formal Council Meeting.

How to make a complaint

We are committed to being accessible and responsive to determining the outcome of complaints quickly and creating a culture that encourages feedback. 

If our service falls short, or we make a mistake, we encourage our customers to contact us directly so we can resolve the issue promptly. 

We regard complaints as an opportunity to improve our practices and procedures. 

You can provide feedback or complain by contacting us by phone, in writing or in person:

What we will do 

Council takes a four-tiered approach to complaint handling. 

If Council is not the right organisation to respond to the complaint, Frontline Staff will refer the complainant to an organisation that can help. 

  1. Frontline resolution – When we receive your complaint we will record it and try to resolve it quickly and easily
  2. Investigation – If your complaint is unable to be resolved by our frontline staff, it will be referred to a Council officer to investigate
  3. Internal Review – If you are not satisfied with the result of our investigation, you can request an internal review of the outcome.
  4. External Review – If you are still unsatisfied with the outcome provided by the internal review process, you will be informed of any external avenues through which you can pursue your complaint, for example, the Victorian Ombudsman’s Office.

Liability claims

If you suffer personal injury or property damage due to Council's negligence, you may be entitled to claim compensation. Please note such claims are against Council directly and not under an insurance policy.

If you wish to report an incident or request repairs to Council property (such as roads or footpaths), report an issue online or call 9217 2170.

Privacy complaints

If your complaint relates to how we have collected, held, used or disclosed your personal information, you should speak to our Privacy Officer by phoning 9217 2223 or sending an email to You can download a copy of our Privacy Policy or contact us to request a hard copy.

Public Interest Disclosures

If your complaint is about improper conduct or detrimental action you should direct your complaint to the Public Interest Disclosure Coordinator.

Improper conduct must be either criminal conduct or conduct serious enough to result in a person’s dismissal while detrimental action includes harassment or discrimination, or other adverse action taken against the person making the disclosure in reprisal for having reported the alleged improper conduct.

People seeking protection under the Public Interest Disclosure Act should carefully consider whether their complaint meets these basic thresholds before reporting.  Full definitions of improper conduct and detrimental action can be found in the Public Interest Disclosure Act 2012 Procedures.

View further details regarding Public Interest Disclosers.

Find out about