You can recycle green waste and timber at Recycling facilities.
To save a trip to the tip, you can book 2 free hard waste collections from your naturestrip each year.
Closest landfill - Hanson’s Wollert
Hanson’s Wollert Landfill is the closest landfill in the City of Whittlesea.
The landfill accepts car and trailer waste for a fee, and accepts some items for recycling.
Monday to Friday: 7am - 4.45pm
Saturday: 7am - 3pm
Public holiday hours
Hanson's Wollert Landfill is closed on:
- Christmas Day (Wollert Landfill will be closed Christmas Day and will reopen on Tuesday 26 December 2017, 7am - 3pm)
- New Year’s Day (Wollert Landfill will be closed New Year’s Day and will reopen on Tuesday 2 January 2018, 7am – 3pm. Normal business hours resume on Wednesday 3 January 2018)
- Good Friday
- ANZAC Day
Hanson's Wollert Landfill is open 7am-3pm on:
- Easter Monday
- Queens Birthday
- Melbourne Cup Day
Cost and discount entry
For current prices, visit the Hanson Landfill website.
Each household in the City of Whittlesea receives 1 subsidised hard waste entry into Hanson Landfill.
Simply bring your 2017/2018 Rates Notice to gain entry (valid until 30 June 2018). The $30 Landfill Levy charge applies.
Wollert Landfill accepts the following items for disposal:
- broken furniture
- general household garbage
- building rubbish
- insulation material (must be double bagged and sealed)
- mixed loads
- car parts
Wollert Transfer Station accepts the following items for recycling:
- televisions, printers and computers
- car batteries
- cardboard and paper
- glass bottles and jars
- scrap metal
- motor oil (up to 20 litres)
- plastic bottles and containers
- steel and aluminium cans
- hot water systems
- refrigerators/old whitegoods
- tyres (charges apply)
- mattresses ($30 fee applies)
Wollert landfill does not accept:
- liquid waste, including household chemicals, acids or solvents
- gas bottles
- liquid waste
The landfill prefers that the following items are recycled:
- household batteries
- e-waste (computers, printers, televisions, DVD players and mobile phones)
- fluorescent light tubes
The following other sites also accept car and trailer loads of waste.
Campbellfield VIC 3061
(Melway 7 H9)
P: 9359 3813
Opening hours: Monday to Sunday: 8am - 4pm
Nillumbik Transfer Station
290-304 Yan Yean Road
Plenty VIC 3090
(Melway 11 D1)
P: 9436 3555
Opening hours: Monday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday: 8am - 4pm
Darebin Transfer Station
Reservoir VIC 3073
(Melway 18 C6)
P: 9230 4799
Opening hours: Monday to Sunday: 8am-3.30pm
Cover trailer and vehicle loads
All trailer and vehicle loads must be covered with a tarpaulin and properly secured for the safety of other road users, and to prevent littering.
If any material falls from your vehicle or trailer, you may receive a Council fine. If the littering occurs from an uncovered or unsecured load, you may also receive a much larger court-imposed fine.
This applies to loads that contain loose household garbage, hard and green waste, building materials, mulch, sand, soil and any other materials.
Tie your tarp securely with rope and make sure that items cannot blow or bounce out if you drive over a bump or brake suddenly.