Through the Local Government Act (1989) we are mandated to
- foster community cohesion
- encourage active participation in civic life
- advocate the interests of the local community to other communities and governments
- act as a representative government by taking into account the diverse needs of the local community in decision making
We have the capacity to influence many of the determinants of health and wellbeing through our planning, the services and infrastructure we provide and the way we work on societal issues like family violence, gambling and gender equity.
For this reason, we have decided to look at how we prioritise our work and investments to achieve the best outcomes for our community through our Community Building Strategy.
Key policies of the strategy include:
- build organisational capacity
- building community connections
- build local democracy
- build linkages